- About Me
- Great Hugo Read
The Great Hugo Read is my effort to be better versed in the science fiction and fantasy genres. This is split into two parts. During the months of January through March and September through December I will be reading past Hugo nominees mostly in order. During the months of April through August I’ll be reading that year’s nominees, or at least the ones I haven’t already read.
To encourage people to join me, I’ve put together a massive schedule that runs from 2013 through 2021 that I will be updating as I go. For each month there is a primary read, these will be the books considered part of the Great Hugo Read, and which I will be discussing in-blog, book group style, each month. Some months include secondary reading, which include the Retro Hugo winners (usually paired up with another book by the same author) and pre-reading suggestions for series where later books won Hugos but earlier books didn’t (such as the Vorkosigan Saga and the Harry Potter books). I may tweak these secondary readings to eventually include later books in an awarded series, or books tangentially related to the primary book of the month.
I’ll be splitting the year into thirds, January-March, April-August, September-December. Before each of these thirds I will revisit the schedule to fill in where the books can be acquired in print, audio, and digital formats.
Without further ado, the schedule:
- 2013 (2013 Nominees, 1953-1961 Winners)
- 2014 (2014 Nominees, 1962-1967 Winners)
- 2015 (2015 Nominees, 1968-1974 Winners)
- 2016 (2016 Nominees, 1975-1981 Winners)
- 2017 (2017 Nominees, 1982-1988 Winners)
- 2018 (2018 Nominees, 1989-1994 Winners)
- 2019 (2019 Nominees, 1995-2001 Winners)
- 2020 (2020 Nominees, 2002-2008 Winners)
- 2021 (2021 Nominees, 2009-2013 Winners)