Welp. It’s 2015, which means the eligibility period for the Hugos has wrapped up and the nominations will open up soon enough. Or eventually. Still, never too soon to have a few thoughts, including my annual thought: stop nominating so much Doctor Who! Yeah, I enjoyed this past season too, Peter Capaldi has brought a new energy to the role, and they finally figured out how to use Clara. Still, this is the golden age of television. Which means there are dozens of science fiction and fantasy shows on television, and most of them have managed at least one episode better than the fourth best episode of Doctor Who.
A few thoughts, some of which will be on my nominating ballot (the list is currently too long):
- Agents of SHIELD: Turn, Turn, Turn or What They Become
- Person of Interest: Deus Ex Machina
- The Leftovers: Two Boats and a Helicopter
- Adventure Time: Escape from the Citadel
- Sleepy Hollow: This is War
- Stephen Universe: Lion 3 Straight to Video
- Game of Thrones: The Lion and the Rose
My probable Long Format ballot while I’m at it:
- The LEGO Movie
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Edge of Tomorrow
- Over the Garden Wall (showed as episodes, but eligible to be nominated as a unit under Hugo rules)
As long as we’re talking the Hugo, I would be remiss to not mention my one eligible work (I am not yet Campbell eligible): The Face of the Serpent, published in Bad Ass Faeries: It’s Elemental.